Seriously, that is not what I would like to wright about. I want to wright this blog specifically so that I can say "Rob, go read the blog I wrote today" I know, off subject but I have been thinking lately how I want to spend my Christmas money and all the things that come to mind are not specifically for me but rather for the greater good of the family; new (deep pocketed) sheets for our bed, a bread mixer, a juicer, etc. Rob, on the other hand, already has his Christmas money spoken for on items to serve himself; biking gear etc. I hate the idea of the wife getting a vacuum while the husband gets a bowling ball and I have refused to let that fate become me. I insisted I would spend MY money on something for ME. So I thought, "what do I want?". Nothing came to mind. NOTHING. I really could not think of one thing I wanted just for me! Then it occurred. The reason the wife gets the vacuum and the husband gets the bowling ball is not because the wife is suppressed and controlled by her asshole husband but because women are more selfless than men. Men think of things they want for themselves and women think of things they want for the family. I realize I am generalizing, there is a reason why we sometimes speak in generalization. I'm aware, like any other time we generalize, this is not going to hold true for everyone but bare with me here. Yep, that is right women are selfless and men are, well a little less selfless (dare I say selfish?). Ladies, are you gleaming with joy yet? Rob, are you pissed yet?
Shortly after I had this thought it occurred to me. Yeah, no doubt moms (and women in general) tend to be pretty selfless but what about dads? Rob goes to work everyday so that I can stay home and take Jamison to gymnastics, play groups and the aquarium. Rob gives up precious time watching his son grow so that I can spend my time doing just that: watching Jamison grow. Rob lets me spend my time volunteering with LLL making no money instead of requesting I spend my time in such a way that offers more monetary gains for the family. I know we all want stuff: cars, toys, clothes etc but Rob is willing to give that up as well as HIS time with HIS son so that I can enjoy being "selfless" by taking Jamison to the zoo, the farm and enjoy a sunny day at the park, while he sits in a building working hard for the family. Taking all the financial pressure and responsibility for the family is a pretty selfless act too. So when I said above that being a "mom is selfless" yeah that is true but so is being a dad and a husband. Rob deserves to gets something just for him, that is what will make him happy. I will be happy with my bread mixer, after all I really do enjoy making good, healthy bread for the family.
I know many stay at home moms have given up their career (and that is a lot to give up) to partake in a stressful, thankless job but obviously the alternative must be worth it or we wouldn't do it.
With that being said, I understand there are many, many family dynamics that include both parents working (or even stay at home dads) and that doesn't mean the mom or dad is any more or less selfless or selfish. We all make sacrifices for our family's, moms and dads, no matter the dynamics of our situation. I respect all parents who are genuinely loving, nurturing and respectful to their children.
This made me cry .......for so many reason. All tears were joy tears. You are such a lovely soul Mae. You shine so bright and such a delight a blessing. XO
ReplyDeleteMade me tear up too. You really are a special individual. Im lucky that I have been blessed to have you in my life. no matter what I might be going through, I talk to you and it all seems do-able. I love you tons!
ReplyDelete