I hardly remember Jamison as a baby unless I look at pictures. I'm so glad I have a lot of them. As great as pictures are there is something about words that captures emotions and feelings really well for me. So with that in mind I'm writing the following:
Things I don't want to forget about J
I don't want to forget that he use to say, "Look at that, daddy" with a huge inflection on "that".
I don't want to forget that he use to say, "Hold you" instead of "hold me" or that he use to say "what, you said" instead of, "what did you say"
I don't want to forget that he use to have really fuzzy and really white hair until sometime between 2 1/2 and 3.
I don't want to forget that every day he pretends to be some animal, anything from a "helping dog" to a "helping cow" and even just a regular dog or one he calls "martha dog". Sometimes a dinosaur usually a T rex.
I don't want to forget that he always wants to race me, that his hugs are tight and given generously, that he use to eat chap stick and refused to give kisses if he had chap stick on.
I don't want to forget that I took a bath with him every night when he was a baby. That he always fell asleep nursing in the tub and then happily went to his daddy when it was time for him to get out.
I don't want to forget that the first time he crawled he moved his left hand forward, than his right hand and then both legs did a little hop forward as though he were a tripod.
I don't want to forget that J calls his baby sister "Daquel"
Things I don't want to forget about L
I don't want to forget that her upper lip often tucks under when she nurses. That she quietly moans as she falls asleep at the breast, full and content.
I don't want to forget that she loves tags. She loves to suck on them.
I don't want to forget that she loves to splash when she is in the bath.
I don't want to forget that she expresses her anger with a ferocious growling like cry or that her laughs are hard to come by but are beautiful to listen to. That the first time she laughed was while I was in the bath tub with both kids the night before Rob's Ironman, Jamison splashed and Raquel chuckled.
I don't want to forget how much she babbles and that one of her more common babbles includes "bwa, bwa".
I don't want to forget that she thoroughly enjoys sucking on chunks of my hair.
I don't want to forget that whenever I push J on the swing I feel Raquel's stomach chuckling, in and out, as it hits against mine while she's snug to me in the Ergo baby carrier.
I don't want to forget what it feels like to have her whole body pressed against mine, belly to belly, as we sleep at night.
No comments:
Post a Comment