Tuesday, April 23, 2019

***I found this written back in 2011 but never published. I am no longer an LLL Leader but the skills, joy, and pride I got from volunteering with such a great organization will always remain part of me.***

I love what I do. Not at work, I actually love that too, but it is what I do outside of work that really fills my soul. While at an LLL meeting a mom approached be before I had even introduced myself as a leader.

"Are you a leader?" she asked with a shaky voice.

"Yes," I replied.

Tears feel from her eyes as she struggled with her very young baby and diaper bag, "I need help" she muttered quietly as she gave in and allowed more tears to stream her face.

I immediately stood up and led her to the back of the room where we chatted for over an hour. What was causing her breastfeeding problems and subsequent sorrow is irrelevant. What is important and selfishly gratifying is that I can quite possibly help! Imagine, sitting there quietly doing your own thing when someone approaches you with tears drawing moist lines down their exhausted face, they look at you desperate, and mutter, "I need help".

I never thought I would be in a position where strangers would seek me in their most critical time of need. The pressure is immense and I hope what I offer is good enough. I can only hope my information, my attitude, and my words nourish these women who so desperately need them to. I hope that I can live up to what they need me to be. It is rare that I get a follow up from women who seek my help so I continue to this without really knowing if I'm making that much of a difference but even if the above mentioned mother discontinues breastfeeding at least for those moments that I sat with her I was able to reassure her that she was doing a good job and that her baby is lucky to have her as a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment